Monday, September 2, 2013

What Politics is to Me

My name is Rachel Budzenski, but I go by Rei, it is a name that I have chosen for myself because I feel it suits me better. I am an undergraduate student studying art education and studio art with a minor in art history. Politics has always been something I am interested in, especially in modern society where my personal beliefs seem to conflict with a lot of politics but also seem to be what drives it.
As a young member of society I interact with politics every day. When I walk through campus and speak with other students I know that each and every one of them views politics differently. Whether liberal, conservative, or moderate in beliefs, there are many other factors that can play into each and every person's personal political beliefs. There are monetary factors, religious beliefs, personal experiences, or parental influences. Personally, I know that my religious beliefs play a very important role in how I view politics and my personal beliefs. I am very conservative in my beliefs, and am very open to expressing them. The main focus of my political beliefs is the fact that I am pro-life. I very heavily believe that life begins at conception, and that from that moment on a baby is a person. While this is the core of my conservative beliefs, I also allow for my religious beliefs to shape other issues. Politics becomes extremely important to me, because our culture doesn't focus on religion anymore. While religion is important on an individual basis, our culture seems to be backing away from allowing religion to impact our lives. Individually people in society are selfish, and only seem to focus on issues that impact them. But politics pulls away from that, because it forces individuals to at least vote on issues that go beyond them. That is what politics is for me, it is a way to express myself as well as a way to force society to think beyond themselves. Even though not everyone does this fully, at least they choose something. They can choose to not care, be a republican, democrat, moderate, but they could also not choose a side and focus on the issues. Not everyone chooses to keep up with modern issues, however that's part of politics as well. Every person and everything they believe and do become part of politics, and that to me is the most interesting aspect of it. There are so many people, and whether their involvement is minimal or severe they still affect the overall world of politics.
I chose this image because it represents my political beliefs. Though politics goes beyond these beliefs I have, this is something that affects me every day. As a member of a sorority even the issue of being Pro-Life seems to be contradictory to what the country wants, however I do feel it's something the country needs. We need to believe that life is precious and sacred, and not something that can be thrown away. We need God in our country, in some way shape or form, at least this is my personal belief. The gun topic has been one that has always been an issue. However I do believe in the right to bear arms, because I believe in the right to protect myself. I want to have a family some day, and I don't want anything to take that away from me. It is my belief that I should have this right to protect my home, though I do believe higher regulations need to be placed on gun owners.
The image itself develops its own discussion. The image was chosen because it portrays it's message in an obvious manner and shows a lot of information so simply. The color red for republican, which would not have been something relevant until this time period. The colors associated with political parties are part of modern time, such as the shapes of the image themselves. These images are "app"-like, and seem to look like computer buttons. They are also drawn in a way that they would fit on a bumper sticker on the back of a car. There is no discussion, the message is clear and direct and creates a very affective argument. The statement is there, and there is no room for error.
These personal beliefs are not necessarily part of the definition of politics, but they are a part of me and how I interact with politics.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very thoughtful and eloquent discussion and I completely understand why you chose the image you did. However, you did not discuss how precisely does this image convey the message in a visual form. We will look at it together in class tomorrow. Perhaps you will add to your entry afterwards. Let me know if you do and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anna that this is a thoughtful and eloquent discussion. I like that you ended your post by saying that these are your personal beliefs, and you are discussing them and how they relate to politics as a whole. Like you, I am more conservative in my beliefs. When you are writing these blogs, don’t forget to be objective and look at the image from multiple points of view.

    4 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete